Have you been neglecting your garbage disposal? Just because we feed it our scraps does not mean that we don’t need to care for it. A waste disposal unit is still a part of the plumbing that needs attention from time to time. Here are a few tips and tricks so you can show your disposal some love!
- Do keep the water running while the motor is turned on. Cold water works better because it causes grease and oil to congeal, making it easier for the garbage disposal to chop it up.
- Do clean your disposal by filling it with vinegar ice cubes weekly.
- Do run cold water after the disposal was run. This prevents overheating.
- Do use Borax to clean your garbage disposal.
- Do run your garbage disposal on a regular basis.
- Do cut larger items into smaller pieces.
- Don’t put actual trash down the disposal.
- Don’t put glass, plastic, metal, paper, or anything flammable down the disposal.
- Don’t use your fingers to try and clean out clogs, unless you want to lose them!
- Don’t use hot water to clear a clogged disposal. Melting fats accumulated in the disposal will worsen the clog.
- Don’t put coffee grounds down the drain. While it may seem like a good idea because of the pleasant odor they emit, coffee grounds can gather in the pipes and clog. You have to care for your plumbing as well!
- Don’t use bleach or drain cleaner.
Clogged drains are a nuisance that no one really wants to deal with. To avoid it, follow these tips and tricks to care for your garbage disposal so that your garbage disposal can continue to take care of you!
If you develop issues with your garbage disposal in Stuart, FL, call Dylewski Plumbing at (772) 283-8640 or visit us online at http://martincountyplumbing.com/